Parents have the right to request information regarding the professional qualifications of
classroom teachers and any paraprofessional providing support to their child(ren). A school
must also give timely notice if a student has been assigned or has been taught for four or more
consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified.
Parents upon request, will be provided the following information about the qualifications of
professional and paraprofessional personnel who provide instruction to their child(ren).
A. Whether the teacher has met state qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels
and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.
B. Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or provisional status through
which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.
C. The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate certification or
degree held by the teacher, and the field of discipline of the certification or degree.
D. Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
Parents may request this information from the principal of the school or it may be accessed
via the internet by going to the web site, of the Tennessee Department of Education, Teacher
Licensing Web site:
School Districts receiving federal funds must also notify parents of secondary school
students that they have a right to request their child’s name, address, and telephone number
not be released to a military recruiter.
Parents shall receive written notification if their child should become the victim of a
violent crime at school. He/she will have the right to transfer to another school withing the
school district.
At such time that any school within the Grainger County School System was to be placed
in school improvement, parents will be notified and informed of their right about school choice
and supplemental services which may be afforded the children who attend that school.